- Chop the figs and anchovies;
- Heat 3 tbsp. of the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the figs and sauté briefly, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until softened. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Let cool;
- Heat the rest of the oil in the pan. Add the leeks and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Moisten with 2 tbsp. water and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the anchovies, juniper berries and thyme. Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Let cool for 10 minutes;
- Add anchovy mixture to the figs in the bowl and stir in the egg.
- Using tablespoon, put the fig stuffing into the cavity of the duck, making sure you do not pack it in too tightly. Secure the opening with crumbled piece of parchment paper.
- Season the duck, rubbing the salt and pepper into the skin;
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes;
- Preheat the oven to 425℃F/220℃C;
- Place the duck in a roasting pan and pour in 1,25 cups of water. Cover loosely wit foil. Roast for 1 hour;
- Take the duck out of the oven and remove the foil. Return to the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350℃F/180℃C and roast for another hour;
- To test, push a skewer through the thickets part of the leg and check that the juices run clear. If not continue roasting for another 10 minutes;
- Remove the duck from the oven. Close loosely with foil and let sit in a warm place to rest for 5-10 minutes. Remove the parchment paper before serving.